Waxing at home can be a frustrating experience that can lead to tears, breakage, and pain. You can avoid that by going to a professional. However, if you are planning to perform a facial waxing on yourself at home, here are some tips to remember.
- Stop using salicylic acid and retinol. In the week leading up to the facial waxing, you need to prepare your skin for the experience. Salicylic acid and retinol makes your skin vulnerable to the wax and can lead to a painful experience.
- Choose the right time. Your menstrual cycle can cause discomfort by itself, and adding the waxing experience to it could make you feel worse. Ideally, you should wait until your period has ended to wax your face.
- Skip the caffeine and alcohol. Your skin will be highly sensitive during and immediately after the waxing. Drinking caffeine and alcohol can increase the sensitivity you experience because of the effect that stimulants have on the skin.
- Do not wash your face. Your skin has natural oils that can help protect your skin from the wax. If you have already cleansed your face, apply some talc powder to your skin to help protect it.
- Keep the wax warm. One of the most commonly made rookie mistakes is allowing the wax to cool before using it. Wax needs to have a continuous heating source to prevent cooling down or it will not remove the hair and be difficult to spread.
- Apply a thin strip. Wax is not like other hair removal products. You do not have to heap it onto the targeted area to effectively remove the hair. Besides, more wax applied means more that needs to be removed.
- Pull the skin taut. Another rookie mistake to avoid is leaving the skin loose when it is time to remove the waxing strips. If you do not, the skin can bruise and the hair removal might not be as effective.
- Wax on a regular basis. The longer hair is left, the more nourishment it will receive from your blood. The hair will be stronger and it will take a greater effort to remove it. If you remove it on a regular basis, it will not have a chance to toughen.
- Do not hesitate. The idea of experiencing discomfort might cause you to pull the waxing strips too slowly. Unfortunately, this can drag out the process and add to the discomfort. Instead of hesitating, rip the strip off.
Check with companies like Lavida Massage of Staten Island for more help.